Tommy Hensel of The Local Tourist writes, “The Underground has gained a reputation as one of Chicago’s premiere nightclubs since its debut in 2007. With a distinct music philosophy and presentation and world-class DJs, the music scene at The Underground is possibly the best in the city. What many people don’t know, however, is that they also have a superb cocktail program. Jon Ruiz, head mixologist at Underground, is both talented and highly creative. This summer, he has created new seasonal cocktails that are both perfect summery drinks and great accompaniments to the vibrant nightlife scene you will experience at The Underground
I was recently invited to sample these new cocktails, and all of them are worth a shot (no pun intended). This new menu includes:
- KIWI MULE – Effen Blackberry, ginger beer and muddled kiwis
- BLACKBERRY DNA – Belvedere vodka, St. Germaine, agave and muddled blackberries
- RASPBERRY BUNKER – Cointreau Noir, muddled raspberries, agave, pomegranate liqueur, grapefruit juice and Piper Sonoma
- SPICED CARROT CAKE – Grey Goose Melon, Ancho Chile Liqueur, carrot juice with apple orange and pineapple juices and agave nectar
- FRENCH APRICOT 56 – Oxley Gin, Cointreau, apricot giffards, Xante yellow label topped with Piper Sonoma
- CASSIS MARTINI – Bombay Sapphire, orange juice, Crème de Cassis, agave and basil leaves
Admittedly, I am not a fan of “sweet” drinks and was prepared to sip a few of these politely and then move on. Surprisingly, none of them were overly sweet. The use of agave and fresh fruit juices create a wonderfully balanced taste in these cocktails, never sugary but just sweet enough. My favorite? I would have to vote for the Cassis Martini – savory, sweet, tart, and well-balanced.
One of the hallmarks of Ruiz’s style as a mixologist is the wonderful layers of flavor he creates. No matter how complex the drink, you can taste all of the distinct flavors, but you can also then taste the wonderfully complex blend as they all merge together. Great cocktails are an art, and these are some of the best I have sampled this summer”
Read the entire review here.